Thursday, March 19, 2009

Book Review: Posed for Murder by Meredith Cole

"Posed for Murder" by Meredith Cole

Published by Minotaur Books, an imprint of St. Martin's Publishing Group

Rating: 4.5 stars

"She had never killed so many people in so many ways". That is exactly how "Posed for Murder" begins with Lydia McKenzie relishing in her photographic genius. Her hauntingly brilliant photographs are being displayed in her first art show and Lydia is trying to take it all in. Lydia dressed her friends up as her models and recreated scenes of real murders she had read about described in great detail. Though she is worried that people might misunderstand her intentions of recreating unsolved murders of the past, she hopes that people can recognize them for their beauty and perhaps even help in the identification of the victims, who have yet to be recognized. However, nothing could have prepared her for what happens next. When one of her models and friend is found dead in the same pose as in Lydia's photo, the police begin a close investigation that leaves Lydia paranoid and in desperate need of answers. Being the independent woman that she is, Lydia decides to conduct her own investigation and becomes personally involved in a shocking murder mystery.

From the very first sentence, I was intrigued by the book and its compelling and unique plot. Although Lydia's photographs are creepy in some ways, I think her intentions to create beauty and honor the dead are commendable. Lately I've been reading a lot more mysteries and thrillers, but I'm always a little wary that I'll solve the case too soon and spoil the surprise. I'm happy to say that "Posed for Murder" kept me guessing until the very end and concluded with a satisfying twist. It comes as no surprise that "Posed for Murder" is the winner of Malice Domestic Best First Traditional Mystery Novel Competition!

I loved that the main character was a strong woman and a great role model, not relying on others to seek out answers. She has her own funky fashion sense and stays true to herself. In the face of danger, Lydia rises to the challenge. She is the ultimate heroine and I loved following her to very end of the story.

Though this is Meredith Cole's first novel, she already shows much talent with her creative and well-crafted writing. I loved how modern and fresh the story was and the way it differs from traditional mystery books. I look forward to reading more from Meredith in the future!

Meredith Cole is also a member of this year's Debutante Ball. To read her past weekly posts, click here


BIG THANKS to Meredith and her publicist for my review copy.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds so creepy. I think the cover is creepy, too.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

That cover is creepy. I haven't read a good murder mystery in a long time.