Thursday, March 5, 2009

Book Review: I'm Sorry You Feel That Way by Diana Joseph

"I'm Sorry You Feel That Way: The Astonishing but True Story of a Daughter, Sister, Slut, Wife, Mother, and Friend to Man and Dog" by Diana Joseph

Published by G.P. Putnam's Sons, a member of Penguin Group Inc.

Rating: 3.5 stars

This book is released today!

Diana Joseph's memoir features a different chapter on each man from her past and present, including family members, friends and ex-boyfriends. The overall tone of the book is light and humorous, with little room for sentimentality and heart-warming tales. Diana Joseph is certainly an unconventional daughter, sister, slut, wife, mother as can be seen by the way she interacts with those in her life.

I found the different chapters in the book to be hits or misses. Some parts were hilarious and memorable, while others seemed to flat for me.

The parts that I enjoyed most were those about her son, whom Diana refers to as "the boy". She is a free spirited liberal woman and her son is a conservative Republican, which of course, sparks a number of debates between them. I love the way she describes their interactions and their relationship, especially since it's clear he means the world to her. Despite how much she teases him about everything, including his limited understanding of proper hygiene, she does it all with love.

Another notably hilarious part of the book is the description of her current partner, Al, and his parents. When they went to visit them, Diana got a nice glimpse of her future with Al, which made her both laugh and cringe.

Diana Joseph is very funny and has a unique way of telling her life stories which I could appreciate, even if I didn't enjoy every single anecdote in this memoir.

BIG THANKS to Penguin Group for my review copy.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I have to say that's an interesting concept for a book. Not sure it's for me, though.

Alea said...

I have this one to read too! I hope I enjoy it!