Saturday, June 20, 2009

Book Review: Shotgun Shopping by Sheevaun Moran


Shotgun Shopping by Sheevaun Moran

Published by Master Your Life Publishing

Rating: 3 stars

Shotgun Shopping is about educating consumers and providing tools to shop better and more efficiently. Sheevaun Moran explains how she has always hated shopping so she eventually came to create the "shotgun shopping" method to avoid spending too much time and money shopping. According to Sheevaun, though we are always shopping, we are doing so unconsciously without giving enough thought to each purchase. As a result, we are left with many items that we don't need or want. Throughout the book there are little anecdotes and personal examples of the shotgun shopping method.

When I heard of the premise for this book, I was intrigued. Especially in economically difficult times, I was excited to learn about some great tips that I could apply to my everyday life. Unfortunately for me, much of the practical tips offered seemed like common sense. I don't consider myself an expert shopper, but advice such as avoiding salespeople who will persuade you to buy anything, is something I already do. There were some interesting tips regarding the best and worst times to shop which I will keep in mind in the future.

What I did really enjoy reading were the little stories and personal experiences shared throughout each chapter. Though there wasn't much explanation as to how specifically people got amazing shopping deals, I still liked reading about them.

This book teaches the "shotgun shopping" and though I did learn a bit from some of the tips, I was left feeling a little disappointed by what seemed to me like a lack of substance. It's possible that I'm not the right target for a book like this though, and those who feel overwhelmed when entering a shopping mall and detest shopping, could stand to benefit a lot more from this book.

BIG THANKS to Lorain of Energetic Solutions for my review copy

No comments: