* BROWSE INSIDE for a glimpse into the book!
Published by HarperOne, a division of HarperCollins Publishers
Rating: 4.5 stars
Living a Charmed Life is an adorable little book that is filled with 50 short essays that are meant to empower and inspire to live the best life possible. At the end of each lesson there is a 'lucky charm' that outlines a specific action we can take to fulfill the given message. For example, cutting your to-do list in half in order to slow down or getting rid of clothing that doesn't make you feel special. Victoria Moran often applies each message to her own life giving clear examples of how to apply these lessons and the what can happen if you don't try to follow the enlightening advice. These essays have the ability to change attitudes, and improve every aspect of daily life.
What first appears to be a cute and light book (complete with adorable cover) is really so much more. There is a lot of insight to each message and so much to gain from applying them to everyday life. I would recommend reading one or two essays each day as I did to fully grasp their meaning and take them in.What I really appreciate about this book is that its goal is not only to benefit the self but also to help others and the world we live in. Some examples of this include the idea of giving something away each day (can be big, small, tangible, your time or kind words ...etc.) and making one change a week that brings the way you live more into harmony with what the earth can accommodate.
This is the type of inspiring resource that can and should be re-read and consulted to enhance daily life and truly work towards a "charmed life". I have bookmarked my favorite ones that I will be returning to and reminding myself of in the future. Although it's probably difficult to follow each and every one of the 50 lessons, it is easy to find ones that relate to your life and follow those that speak to you. Some of them are little things that make a big difference, such as bringing back chivalry (open doors for people and give up your seat on the bus) or add a splash of red, either as an accesory or even flowers in your home can brighten up your day.
The following is written by Victoria Moran and is a great example of what is included in the book:
Lucky Charms Aren't Just for Breakfast Anymore -- Use These Lucky Charms and Find Yourself Living a Charmed Life
Sometimes all it takes to shift the direction of your life is to start the one day differently. You set the tone for your day first thing in the morning. Each of the actions that follow is an a.m. lucky charm to help you to a totally glorious day. Put a string of days like this together, and you’ve got yourself a charmed life.
- Set your clock for 15 minutes earlier than usual. This will put extra room in your morning so there's a bit more time for tending to your own needs before the world starts putting demands on you.
Start with a little quiet. Instead of blasting into your day like being shot from a cannon, take five or ten of those extra minutes to be still with yourself and compose your day. You can use this time for prayer, meditation, journal writing, or just being and breathing and deciding that, for the next twenty-four hours, you're going to seize opportunities, shine like the dickens, and make a difference in the world.
- Have a keynote thought, one positive idea to set the tone for your day. You might try. "It's wonderful to be alive," or "I fully intend to make this a great day." This thought is independent of circumstances. It isn't wonderful to be alive because you just got the raise or the last 38-C on the sale table, but because you've been given a day which is, by definition, filled with possibility.
- Get to the gym. "No matter who you are or how much money you have, you can't buy muscle," says New York City trainer Sasha Lodi. "The only way to get it is to build it yourself." And knowing you've done it, you'll feel terrific about yourself.
- Wear something you love. It may not be new (it may very well be old) and it probably won't be the most expensive thing you own, but choose today to wear something that makes you feel like a million bucks.
- Have some fresh juice in the morning. Whether you like breakfast light or substantial, try starting with fresh juice (try apple, kale, lemon is yummy). This gives your body an infusion of vitality since you're ingesting vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals in their most easily assimilable form.
- Cut today's to-do list in half. And trust that it won't cause the world to end. Prioritize the thousand things you "ought" to do so that you get the important tasks for work, family, and yourself taken care of. Everything else can take a number.
- Tend to the intimidating assignments first. When you've tackled what's scary or overwhelming first, you're won out over procrastination. And you've already succeeded today, even if it's only 9 a.m.
- Be completely, utterly yourself. From the moment you open your eyes. Nobody can do "you" the way you can. All sorts of great stuff is heading your way, but it can't find you when you're impersonating someone else. Cherish your individuality and relish your authenticity.
- Make a point that today you'll remember your own worth. Nothing will give you a better shot at having your best day ever than remembering your own innate worth. Choose a common action (like looking in a mirror or walking through a door), and every time you do it today, remind yourself that you are worthy. Because that's the truth.
Victoria Moran, author of Living a Charmed Life:Your Guide to Finding Magic in Every Moment of Every Day, is an inspirational speaker, a certified life coach, and the author of ten books including The Love-Powered Diet, Lit from Within; Fat, Broke & Lonely No More; and the international bestseller Creating a Charmed Life. Her articles have appeared in numerous publications including Body + Soul, Natural Health, and Yoga Journal. Her blog, "Your Charmed Life," is published daily on BeliefNet.com. She lives a charmed life in New York City.